Monday, May 14, 2012

This is what dreams are made of...


Aakanksha Devi, Apr 24, 2012 :

PASSION RULES

Breaking away from the traditional expectation of being doctors, lawyers, engineers or even businessmen, several youngsters are taking the road less travelled in terms of their career.

Alternate careers like acting, film-making, music and even the risky scuba diving are becoming the norm with the youth of today. Despite being educated in the usual fields of arts, sciences or commerce, these youngsters choose to pursue their passion and convert their dream careers into real ones.

Rohin Unvalla
Rohin Unvalla, a BCom graduate from the City, gleefully broke away from the business sector to take up a course in scuba diving. “I just love the water. Swimming and diving make me happy.

Business wasn’t something I disliked but it was far down on my list of hobbies. In fact before this, I was a professional dance instructor,” he says.

Now almost three years later, Rohin works with the coast guard in the Andamans and is a familiar face on the rescue squads on the Indian coastline. “It’s just something I had to do for myself. It gives me a feeling of unbelievable elation,” says the diver.

Mario Jerome
But perhaps it isn’t only passion that fuels these career changes. With an MSc in Bioscience from Leeds University, Mario Jerome realised he wasn’t getting optimum wages.
  
“I wasn’t very happy with the remuneration and more importantly the type of work. So I started to spend more time on working with a production house which was more fulfilling,” he says. He now heads the business and planning department of a Bangalore-based production house and sometimes, gives creative inputs too.

“I am a people’s person and this job is perfect for me. I speak with people and also learn the tricks of the trade when it comes to film-making. I miss the sciences sometimes but this suits my personality and my balance book better,” he says.

Sudhanva Atri
Parents too seem to have eased up on their children. Hardly a few years ago, parents lived their failed dreams through their offspring, giving the youngsters little, if any, freedom at all in choosing their careers. Manorama Ramesh says that initially, only she wholeheartedly supported her son Sudhanva’s desire to become a photographer, but her husband soon came around.

“I have nothing but pride and respect for my son. It’s important that he does what he wants. As parents, we gave our opinions but we never forced them on our children,” says the proud mother.

Sudhanva believes that doing what he truly loved gave him more inspiration to excel than doing something that he just happened to be good at. “There’s nothing like being so close to nature and capturing moments that I’ll never see again. It’s like living a dream...actually I am living my dream,” he chuckles.

Akhil Iyer
Akhil Iyer is another youngster who gave up being a brilliant computer engineer to pursue his childhood dream of being an actor and model. “I aced my exams but being on stage gives me another high altogether,” he confesses.

When asked if he found it hard at times, he quickly pips in that it was difficult almost all the time. “It’s a constant uphill climb. I don’t know when I’ll get a script or a shoot. Most times I don’t even know what I’m endorsing until I’m at the shoot.

But I wouldn’t trade anything for the satisfaction of knowing that I did what I truly wanted to do,” he says.

So it seems that no matter how hard or unstable the career path may be, this generation has set sight on slightly different horizons. And there’s surely no stopping them from turning their dreams into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment