Sunday, June 6, 2010

Haz que tu quinta mi Rafa!


It’s not really that I dislike Federer but I like Nadal more. Ok ok…I dislike FedEx but not his game. Hence why, I am thrilled that Nadal is in the final at Roland Garros today.

I’m not a 100% he will win against Soderling but atleast he proved to the entire world that he is capable of getting to the final. And with style as well. Not dropping a set on clay to people like Hewitt is really no joke. Which brings me to my main point... Rafael Nadal is no joke.

I’ve heard several fans of Roger Federer (One of my closest friend Anisha Phillip is the one I am targeting most!) say that Nadal is an absolute joker starting from his clothes to his…er… erm…slightly - absurd - backside - involving – habit, down to his game.

Some, who say they are ‘real’ tennis fans, believe Nadal is only popular with the women because he is cute and hot. I for one don’t think he is astoundingly cute really and certainly not hot. I like him because of his drive to win. And he only is cute to the level that he says ‘no?” after almost any given sentence. He thinks “no” is a full stop…yes that is kind of cute.

But aside from all the supposed female fan following…he is popular because of tennis. No amount of fan following would bring some one to Number 1 ranking. I agree that he hovers mostly at 2 but still that is saying a lot. I also agree that Fed is better on most surfaces but lets face it…FedEx needed Soderling to do what he couldn’t. And Soderling did. So in my book…even Soderling is a better clay court player than RF. But I am mildly biased.

Anyway, Fed wins most events and the one or two that he doesn’t suddenly turn into a “Let’s mock the living daylights out of Rafael Nadal because we are angry that Federer lost”. I genuinely think that Fed fans need to give the lad some credit.

Fed lost to Soderling…so hate Soderling! But no…most facebook statuses changed to “Damn Nadal”. What? How does that happen? He was probably busy hunting for some tightish short to wear for his next game. Leave him be!

Besides, try as anyone might, the simply cannot deny that fact that he is four time champion on the clay court with a potential fifth title if he wins today (God if you are listening please let Rafa win today!) That has got to be good from any angle that it is looked at. Why Roger winning some few times at SW19 makes him the King of Grass…then why is Nadal not given the credit he is due on clay.

Bah…sore losers. Like Federer I suppose! :p

I came across this fabulous article in the NY Times about the game this evening…have a look. It’s a beautiful and unbiased analysis of the delightful players involved in the final and then some about Fed too. Nadal and Soderling, by the numbers.

Peace out and more importantly…VAMOS RAFA!

No comments:

Post a Comment